Research studies continually show that quality sleep becomes more difficult to experience as age increases, therefore having a warm mattress cover is essential for a good night’s sleep. Furthermore, seniors are among an age group that requires quality sleep more than most in order to maintain good motor functions, thought clarity, and enjoyment of life.
To better understand how you can improve your sleep or that of an elderly relative in your life, we have compiled this simple sleeping guide for seniors. Below, we’ll discuss the best mattresses to invest n and some quick tips and tricks that have been shown to help sleep or dissipate everyday aches and pains with a heated mattress pad.
What is the Best Mattress for Seniors?
While mattress shopping is never one size fits all, there are certain types of mattresses that are better for seniors than others and are more likely to improve your sleep. Finding the right mattress can mean the difference between sleepless and painful nights and a comfortable and restful night’s sleep.
Certain materials, such as those that mold to the body’s angles, can help to alleviate pains and pressure points. This is especially useful for people who suffer from arthritis or shoulder and hip aches.
You might also want to consider mattresses made from materials that help regulate temperature. For anyone who runs particularly hot or cold at night, this will add immensely to your comfort throughout the night.
Mattresses made from high-quality materials will also help decrease motion and noise, which can hamper the sleep of anyone who shares a bed.
Features to Look For
- Memory Foam: There are several different types of memory foam out there, but gel memory foam can be particularly helpful for seniors. A thick layer of gel foam will provide important support to the body and successfully mold to your body no matter what way you sleep.
This material does not absorb very much body heat, which also ensures a pleasant night’s sleep no matter what time of year. If you suffer from chronic pain or arthritis, gel memory foam could be exactly what you need to improve your sleep.
Nearly all memory foam mattresses will come with options regarding firmness. So, you have nothing to worry about if your preference is for a softer mattress. The foam will still not sag or lose integrity.
However, if you suffer from chronic pains, it is generally recommended that you opt for firmer mattresses which will better support your frame and can mold around the pressure points.
- Breathable Material: While some memory foams attract and retain heat, this can be mitigated by seeking out fabrics that are light and breathable. A mattress cover made from cotton, for instance, will preserve breathability and ensure that only minimal heat is retained by the foam.
Gel infusions are also known to be the best out of all memory foam materials for temperature regulation.
- Edge Support: While not required for all, some seniors will need a mattress that offers strong edge support. Some mattresses will sink along the perimeter, which can make it difficult for seniors to get into and out of bed, and also affect the support the mattress should provide.
If you require strong edge support, be sure to ask only to see models that especially market this quality.
Tips to Improve Sleep
Alongside investing in a mattress with these important qualities, there are a few other things you can do to help improve your sleep as a senior.
Here are 3 of our top ways to get a better night’s rest:
- Use a Warming Pad
A warm mattress cover can greatly improve how you sleep at night by helping you find your body’s ideal temperature. This means your bed will stay a comfortable, well-regulated temperature all through the night so that you can increase your quality of sleep.
Navien Mate offers dual temperature options that are perfect for anyone who shares a bed and requires different temperature settings. This way, everyone will get a good night’s sleep without overheating or feeling too cold.
A mattress warming pad is easy to set up and maintain, which means it will only require minimal attention and never detract from your evening routine. If you find temperature regulation a struggle or are often cold at night, this type of warming pad could greatly improve your sleep and keep you comfortable at night.
- Make Small Changes to Your Bedroom
You might not realize it, but your bedroom could be negatively impacting your sleep. If you have too much light or noise pollution entering your room, it is likely affecting how much sleep you are able to get.
You should try to make your bedroom a quiet, cool, and dark environment, which will be conducive to deep sleep. Your mattress, as mentioned before, should be supportive and very comfortable so that you look forward to going to bed each night.
If you find that you cannot block out noise and light easily, consider implementing one or more of the following:
- Eye mask
- Blackout Curtains
- Noise Machine — which will either provide white noise or quiet and calm sounds
- Keep a Routine
It might seem too simple to be true but following a good sleeping routine can have a great impact on your sleep, both in quantity and quality.
Most seniors will find that going to bed earlier and waking up earlier is the best way to keep energy levels up throughout the day. But there are other things you can introduce to your routine to further improve your sleep.
- Try to not use a backlit device at night or anytime less than an hour from when you will go to bed, this includes television, iPads, or some e-readers. This type of light has been shown to have a negative effect on sleep.
- Remove bedroom clocks from the view of the bed. This will prevent unnecessary light from hindering your sleep or keeping you awake at night. A ticking clock can also add too much background noise for some individuals.
- Create a soothing atmosphere by playing gentle or quiet music, running a bath, or dimming the lights. If you are interested in aromatherapy, there are plenty of scents, such as lavender or chamomile, which could help your sleep.
Choose Only the Best Warm Mattress Cover
To enjoy a comforting time at night, contact Navien Mate and learn more about how you can have better sleep using the best warm mattress cover and how a therapeutic heated mattress warming pad could be beneficial for you.
You must log in to post a comment.